[discuss] FW: [I-coordination] on "identifying principles"

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Thu Dec 19 03:49:18 UTC 2013

From: michael gurstein [mailto:gurstein at gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 19, 2013 10:45 AM
To: 'I-coordination at nro.net'; governance at lists.igcaucus.org; bestbits
Subject: RE: [I-coordination] on "identifying principles"

Carolina and all,

I am attaching a "Declaration of Principles" from the Community Informatics
community "An Internet for the Common Good: Engagement, Empowerment, and
Justice for All".

An earlier version of this was accepted by consensus by the larger Community
Informatics community
<http://vancouvercommunity.net/lists/info/ciresearchers>  (consisting of
both the general email list and specialized lists for Canada
<http://vancouvercommunity.net/lists/info/cracin-canada> , Southern Africa
<http://vancouvercommunity.net/lists/info/ci-research-sa> , Older Persons,
<http://vancouvercommunity.net/lists/info/ci-for-older-persons>  and
Indigenous peoples <mailto:ci-indigenous at lists.knet.ca>  as well as the
Editorial Board of the Journal of Community Informatics
<http://ci-journal.net/index.php/ciej/about/editorialTeam> ). The current
version was produced by a team that included a leading ICT practitioner from
Mozambique, a Director of a grassroots Community Informatics initiative in
India working with rural women, a practitioner working with marginalized
youth in the barrios of Chicago, a leading researcher in the use of ICTs by
Indigenous Peoples, a former chair of the Computer Professionals for Social
Responsibility and two members of the technical community with interests in
the community based use of ICTs.

We expect a consensus agreement on this version within the next 48 hours
along with endorsements.

While there is some overlap with the principles that you have documented
from other sources we would ask that those that have not elsewhere been
identified be added to your listings and including matters of how addressing
matters concerning the distribution of benefits of the use ICTs and the
Internet.

With best wishes,

Mike