[discuss] /1net Steering/Coordination Commitee

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Thu Dec 19 23:27:07 UTC 2013

Adiel and all,

I don't know what process you went through to do this selection but you
should be aware that the process undertaken by  "Civil Society" in the
selection of their nominees was so flawed as to render any nomination from
the "Civil Society" grouping as illegitimate.

The CS "Nominating Committee" was self-selected within the extremely limited
set of civil society organizations currently active in the Internet
Governance space (many of which have little or no actual membership or
visible networking into the broader global Civil Society community).

In the process of constituting their "Nominating Committee" there was no
attempt to reach out to additional organizations with interests or
activities in the broad IG area but which were not directly active in the
very limited existing CS IG spaces.  Where groupings such as the Community
Informatics network*, of which I am a part indicated an interest in
participation in the Nominating Committee and or of being nominated we were
rebuffed without appropriate explanation, appeal or an indication that due
transparent and accountable processes had been undertaken.

It is notable that all of the nominees from this self-selected nominating
group are senior actors in the groups which self-constituted themselves as
the nominating group and no others--a process of self-dealing, startling in
its audacity if nothing else.

As I've mentioned before on this list and to the Civil Society grouping, the
Community Informatics community consists of a large number of practitioners,
academics, researchers, and technical and policy activists, concerned with
community based and grassroots users and NON-Users of the Internet including
marginalized communities in Developed and Developing Countries, indigenous
peoples, older persons, those with disabilities among others and thus look
to provide an opportunity for "voice" for a very very significant
constituency  of those who are either under-represented or not represented
at all in current IG discussions.

I would strongly suggest that you reconsider your decision in this matter,
appropriate, transparent, and accountable process inclusive of ALL those in
Civil Society with an active interest and "stake" in Internet Governance
matters.

In the absence of this, unfortunately your process itself will be equally
contaminated as was the "CS" process and the outcome of your activities will
be equally unrepresentative of those globally who are impacted by and thus
"stakeholders" in the Internet.

Sincerely,

Mike

*The Community Informatics community--the larger
<http://vancouvercommunity.net/lists/info/ciresearchers> Community
Informatics community (consisting of both the general email list and
specialized lists for
<http://vancouvercommunity.net/lists/info/cracin-canada> Canada,
<http://vancouvercommunity.net/lists/info/ci-research-sa> Southern Africa,
<http://vancouvercommunity.net/lists/info/ci-for-older-persons> Older
Persons, and  <mailto:ci-indigenous at lists.knet.ca> Indigenous peoples as
well as the  <http://ci-journal.net/index.php/ciej/about/editorialTeam>
Editorial Board of the Journal of Community Informatics