[discuss] /1net Steering/Coordination Commitee

Shatan, Gregory S. GShatan at ReedSmith.com
Fri Dec 20 01:31:46 UTC 2013

And here I thought the Civil Society nominating process was a relative model of democratic and inclusive ideals….

Greg Shatan

From: discuss-bounces at 1net.org [mailto:discuss-bounces at 1net.org] On Behalf Of michael gurstein
Sent: Thursday, December 19, 2013 6:27 PM
To: 'Adiel Akplogan'; discuss at 1net.org
Subject: Re: [discuss] /1net Steering/Coordination Commitee

Adiel and all,

I don't know what process you went through to do this selection but you should be aware that the process undertaken by  "Civil Society" in the selection of their nominees was so flawed as to render any nomination from the "Civil Society" grouping as illegitimate.

The CS "Nominating Committee" was self-selected within the extremely limited set of civil society organizations currently active in the Internet Governance space (many of which have little or no actual membership or visible networking into the broader global Civil Society community).

In the process of constituting their "Nominating Committee" there was no attempt to reach out to additional organizations with interests or activities in the broad IG area but which were not directly active in the very limited existing CS IG spaces.  Where groupings such as the Community Informatics network*, of which I am a part indicated an interest in participation in the Nominating Committee and or of being nominated we were rebuffed without appropriate explanation, appeal or an indication that due transparent and accountable processes had been undertaken.

It is notable that all of the nominees from this self-selected nominating group are senior actors in the groups which self-constituted themselves as the nominating group and no others--a process of self-dealing, startling in its audacity if nothing else.

As I've mentioned before on this list and to the Civil Society grouping, the Community Informatics community consists of a large number of practitioners, academics, researchers, and technical and policy activists, concerned with community based and grassroots users and NON-Users of the Internet including marginalized communities in Developed and Developing Countries, indigenous peoples, older persons, those with disabilities among others and thus look to provide an opportunity for “voice” for a very very significant constituency  of those who are either under-represented or not represented at all in current IG discussions.

I would strongly suggest that you reconsider your decision in this matter, go back to the "CS" "nominating committee" and insist that they conduct an appropriate, transparent, and accountable process inclusive of ALL those in Civil Society with an active interest and “stake” in Internet Governance matters.

In the absence of this, unfortunately your process itself will be equally contaminated as was the "CS" process and the outcome of your activities will be equally unrepresentative of those globally who are impacted by and thus “stakeholders” in the Internet.

Sincerely,

Mike

*The Community Informatics community--the larger Community Informatics community<http://vancouvercommunity.net/lists/info/ciresearchers> (consisting of both the general email list and specialized lists for Canada<http://vancouvercommunity.net/lists/info/cracin-canada>, Southern Africa<http://vancouvercommunity.net/lists/info/ci-research-sa>, Older Persons,<http://vancouvercommunity.net/lists/info/ci-for-older-persons> and Indigenous peoples<mailto:ci-indigenous at lists.knet.ca> as well as the Editorial Board of the Journal of Community Informatics<http://ci-journal.net/index.php/ciej/about/editorialTeam>