[discuss] /1net Steering/Coordination Commitee

George Sadowsky george.sadowsky at gmail.com
Fri Dec 20 04:34:26 UTC 2013

All,

I largely agree with Andrew's view of this issue.

We have a multitude of issues in the IG space that could stand increased understanding and improvement.  If we could focus on the issues and work toward that increased understanding of the issue, the alternatives, and the pros and cons of the alternatives, then we might be making progress toward improving IG.

I've argued before that stakeholder silos have negative effects.  On of them is that they push us to think of interest groups rather than problems and solutions across all of us.

I like Andrew's dictum of "do stuff, structure later."  while we may beed some kind of structure going into implementation, let's make it as loose and as non-prescriptive as possible.  Maybe the structure should be around issues rather than occupants of silos?

Michael Gurstein and I had what I thought was a useful exchange a few weeks ago.  The hypothesis that I think we tended to agree upon, more or less (Michael, please correct me if you disagree), was the following (somewhat simplified): that the fight over representation is really a proxy war; the real fight -- the hidden fight -- is over different opinions on issues, and the representation fight allows the issue fight to be hidden.

To the extent that this is the case, the representation fight obstructs getting to the issues and is counterproductive to our work.  Let's get directly to the issues.  In doing so, let's realize that agreement on issues cuts across stakeholder silos, and let's rethink how best to structure these conversations.

George