[discuss] Report from the BR meeting local organizing group - Dec 2013

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Sat Dec 21 19:42:33 UTC 2013

On 22/12/2013 08:31, Norbert Bollow wrote:
> Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 22/12/2013 05:36, Carlos A. Afonso wrote:
>>> 8. Expected outcomes as success indicators
>>>
>>> - Official launching of a review process of the global IG
>>> frameworks/models;
>>>
>>> - Development of a set of universally acceptable core of principles
>>> for global IG;
>>>
>>> - Tentative draft of a global IG model.
>> Thanks for the update. However, I find these objectives very
>> disturbing. They seem to assume
>> (a) That there is a problem caused by defective IG.
>> (b) That the solution is a "global IG model".
>>
>> I am not aware that either of these assumptions have been justified.
>> That should be the starting point IMHO.
>
> I disagree with the view that that “expected outcomes” statement
> contains assumptions that need justification before this can proceed.

Norbert, then what is the problem caused by defective IG? (That is not
the same question as "What is the problem?".) Again, I am not trying
to be clever or sarcastic: I simply don't know the answer.

If, for example, the answer is "Pervasive surveillance by NSA and
their friends" I would strongly dispute that defective Internet
governance is the cause.

   Brian