[discuss] Report from the BR meeting local organizing group - Dec 2013

Carlos A. Afonso ca at cafonso.ca
Sat Dec 21 23:38:21 UTC 2013

[anticipated apologies for duplicate messages]

Jorge, I am just trying to report, I do not have answers to every
question -- several of them will be properly answered as the committees
are in place and start their work.

On 12/21/2013 05:17 PM, Jorge Amodio wrote:

> Thank Carlos for the detailed update
>
>> The HLMC will be responsible for overseeing the political
>> articulations and for encouraging the participation of the
>> international community.
>>
>> It will be composed of government representatives of 12 countries
>> (precise list still being established by the BR government)
>
> 12 countries out of ~195 UN member states ? One of which I assume
> that by default is Brazil.
>
> What criteria is being followed to select the countries ?
>
> Looks like the BR government wants to impose their agenda/policy on
> every single committee.

The original arrangement was eight countries. Sorry, but regarding the
April meeting BR is not just a grand venue you rent to do your meeting,
it also has a say of course. BR has a clear view that one of the
outcomes should be a set of principles for IG worldwide.

>> 450 from govs 500-550 from non-gov, non-UN stakeholders 100
>> journalists 50 IGOs/UN reps
>
> Where these numbers come from ?

The overall number is based on the venue and resources available.

>> 8. Expected outcomes as success indicators
>>
>> - Official launching of a review process of the global IG
>> frameworks/models;
>
> Would you mind to elaborate what do you mean by "official"
>
>> - Development of a set of universally acceptable core of principles
>> for global IG;
>
> Who will get the mandate to develop them and from who ?
>
>> - Tentative draft of a global IG model.
>
> Is there any existing model of reference ? And what do you mean by
> "global" ?

As I said to Norbert, I cannot elaborate as I am just reporting, but
this is a tentative, initial collection of ideas to guide the meeting --
the actual agenda/themes/expected outcomes will be a result of the
process led by the two committees, especially the executive comm. One
goal will stand: developing the set of principles for IG worldwide.

--c.a.