[discuss] Report from the BR meeting local organizing group - Dec 2013

Mawaki Chango kichango at gmail.com
Sun Dec 22 09:39:51 UTC 2013

Brian,

Thank you for your precise answers to which, as a matter of courtesy, I
respond with my limited/partial reading of the situation as follows.

1. As someone mentioned in another thread, despite claims by AT&T engineers
in the early days of the Internet, most phone calls are now traveling over
IP we're contemplating a situation where the slogan "everything over IP"
has made some serious progress toward realization. So there might be a case
to be made that the capabilities of the Internet today (including its
possible loopholes, vis-a-vis security, privacy or otherwise) has a
significant effect on most of our communications today --at least among
those who have access to phone and internet-- possibly amplifying even a
problem that originated from or was already around with phone networks.

2. My sense, precisely (albeit very modestly, in every sense), is that a
non-negligible portion of Internet users think or perceive that the
internet in its basic design does not help much to protect privacy and
other relevant human rights and that we could do a better job at that and
that is, at least in part, an aspect of the "thing" that has set the BR
meeting in motion (from this second perspective, the NSA massive
surveillance revelations have mainly opened a window of political
opportunity while they may also be seen as the most immediate trigger.)
Now, is that "global IG"? Maybe not, but the fact is those issues are
related to some extent to the design of the internet and they have been
being discussed in IG spaces, too.

It may well be possible for some of the engineers out there to come up with
a great deal of arguments and technical detail showing that the above view
(or the views I'm trying to so describe) is/are wrong, and that there are
other ways to resolve those problems than calling for a global meeting (I'm
sure there are). At this point it doesn't really matter. The fact is, for
one, Internet has been around us for more than two decades now and many
people don't see those issues are being resolved, and for another, the BR
meeting will take place and those views as well as competing/countering
ones will be displayed and maybe/hopefully better articulated than they
have ever been. And perhaps the BR meeting in its attempt to produce
principles will serve as a catalyst to make progress where progress is
actually needed (say, as per engineers' view) or maybe those principles
will be enough acceptable to most that they will become norms that most
actors will try to live by and they will gain some political clout so as to
pressure governments to uphold/respect them (or at least CS actors may be
able to use those principles to do so.)

Again, I do not intend the above to explain everything about why we are
where we are today and where we're heading. It's a partial view which I
think has a place in answering so of our questions. At any rate, that is
how I see the BR meeting, at least in part and for now (things may change),
and what I may be looking forward to out of it. It may be wishful
thinking... we'll see. But I doubt the day after the BR meeting there will
be a major power shift among internet stakeholders.

Mawaki