[discuss] Report from the BR meeting local organizing group - Dec 2013

Mawaki Chango kichango at gmail.com
Sun Dec 22 10:11:24 UTC 2013

On Sun, Dec 22, 2013 at 2:47 AM, Jorge Amodio <jmamodio at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hmm what problem ? Somebody is trying to connect the wrong dots here.
>
> Mrs. Rousseff's portion of her speech about this last September at the UN
> GA was centered in the "grave violation of human rights and of civil
> liberties, of invasion and capture of confidential information concerning
> corporate activities, and especially of disrespect of national sovereignty"
>
> Not too much later, the Brazilian government had to recognize that it was
> doing just that within his "sovereign" frontiers.

I hope any solutions that may be discussed in Sao Paulo, or any principles
that might come out of it, will not only apply to one specific government
and only to transborder data flows but opposable to all governments
including domestically, as well as to big corporations that control
personally identifiable data of hundreds of millions of people (to mention
only the most powerful.) I personally also hope they will be good enough to
encourage/support groups such as the IETF in being even more mindful of
those issues than they have been in their technical standards specification
work.

> Then she touched the Internet Governance topic saying "Brazil will present
> proposals for the establishment of a civilian multilateral framework for
> the governance and use if the Internet and to ensure the effective
> protection of data that travels through the web"
>
> The particular use of the word *multilateral" was what made many around
> here to freak out and rush to stop the wreck on "multistakeholderism", then
> the Montevideo I* statement

Probably justifiable so, although I'm not sure the use of the former word
was intentionally meant to quash the notion of the latter, given BR track
record in internet related decision-making processes. Or maybe at that time
she had in mind an instrument that requires governments' ratification,
which doesn't seem to be what anybody is shooting for right now.

> and Fadi's "secret" trip to Brazil, where after few hours later the
> President of Brazil twitted the announcement of a meeting in Brazil on
> April 2014.
>
> Also, I don't want the Brazilian government or any other government to
> tell me how I can *use* the Internet.
>
> Not many states bought the IG proposals part of the speech, and the recent
> resolution of the UN Human Rights Committee ended being about privacy and
> security in the digital age, topic that is being said won't be part of the
> agenda for the BR meeting.

I wasn't aware of this (or forgot about it, with all the information
floating around), and just suggested the contrary in my latest post down
this thread. See how things can shift quickly in this domain and show some
of us like ignorants?

> The resolution if adopted by the next GA (highly probable given the
> unanimous committee approval) will be not binding and does not even include
> the word Internet or mentions Internet Governance.

I would have thought this might precisely be a reason to address that topic
in the particular area of the internet, at the BR meeting. Anyway, if I
read well, Carlos was saying they are still at the stage of gathering ideas
but that the IG principles item is a non-negotiable. So we might still be
surprised either with the final agenda or with the contents and issues
addressed by those principles in the end.

Mawaki