[discuss] Questions regarding business sector participation

Peter H. Hellmonds peter.hellmonds at hellmonds.eu
Tue Dec 24 10:11:44 UTC 2013

Gregory,

You are right, of course, that there are multiple business sectors. About a month ago we had a discussion around this in BASIS where we came up with a distinction not only between infrastructure providers and users but subdivided providers also into infrastructure, content, service providers etc and users into e.g. manufacturing, financial services, business consulting and other services, to name just a few.

Personally, I have long argued that the user industries often depend on the Internet in a way that is not explicit, but that the continuing functioning of the Internet as we know it is built implicitly into the assumptions of their business models, supply chains, etc.

While most of these businesses are largely absent from the IG space, they are nevertheless dependent on us to ensure that the Internet continues to provide those services and infrastructure stability as they have come used to. And we also need of course to guard against capture by any specific industry group just because they have an intrinsically closer relationship to e.g. the infrastructure business or the DNS system.

Regards

Peter H. Hellmonds
<peter.hellmonds at hellmonds.eu>
+49 (160) 360-2852