[discuss] Report from the BR meeting local organizing group - Dec 2013

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Tue Dec 24 13:21:14 UTC 2013

Hi

On Dec 24, 2013, at 1:05 PM, Carlos A. Afonso <ca at cafonso.ca> wrote:

> Thx! I am collecting all suggestions, questions, doubts about the process, and will present a compilation to our upcoming online meeting on Dec.27.

Okydoky, we’ll await smoke signals.

> Personally: we know the border between civil society and academia is not so clear, the same with the border between academia and the "technical community", but we do know there will be eight places in the HL for civil society+academia+technical comm... I think the communities themselves will have to sort this out. 1Net is viewing (if it does view anything clearly) three sectors: business, tech, and CS.

1net has four: business, TC, CS, academic.

> So somehow we will have to accomodate all non-gov interests within these 12 creatures.

Should be fun.

On Dec 24, 2013, at 1:12 PM, Roland Perry <roland at internetpolicyagency.com> wrote:

> In message <84C9EA3B-CB64-4C53-AB39-FE8C0D1E969D at gmail.com>, at 11:46:01 on Tue, 24 Dec 2013, William Drake <wjdrake at gmail.com> writes
>
> >[perhaps] the LOG thinks ... that the "technical and academia >community" is actually a single category, which would be a throw-back >to the nonsensical UN WSIS formulation (which inter alia implies that >the only “academics" worth including are technical people, not social >scientists etc
>
> Isn't it more to do with the existence of a significant body of *policy making* (rather than *IT engineering*) folks within the academic community who are sufficiently integrated into what's generally called the I-star community that it's needlessly complicated to try to separate them back out again.
>
> Some of them are quite likely social scientists.

Theoretically this is possible, but in practice it hasn’t been the issue or the debate since WSIS, and I don’t think it’s the issue here either.   I am curious though, who are these quite likely social scientists?  I know many SS who've ticked yes on ISOC membership and participated in ICANN but would never be considered by I* leadership for a role as rep of a “technical and academic community.”  Conversely, I’m hard pressed to name TC leaders and reps that social scientists like GigaNet members would say represent us.  Although the UN et al has never seen a problem saying this anyway.

Best,

Bill

William J. Drake
International Fellow & Lecturer