[discuss] [governance] Report from the BR meeting local organizing group - Dec 2013

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Dec 26 19:33:15 UTC 2013

On Dec 26, 2013, at 2:04 PM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net<mailto:parminder at itforchange.net>> wrote:

The current meeting seems to have gone back on all those 'right decisions' and allowed ICANN and 1* the central role that it had always been seeking in the forthcoming meeting.

This is my honest reading of what happened. But I may be over reacting. I am happy to be corrected by anyone..

Parminder -

I appreciate you sharing your perspective of events, as it is helpful.  I do want to correct
one assertion made in the above -

    "... and allowed ICANN and 1* the central role that it had always been seeking
     in the forthcoming meeting. "

Given that the I* were informed by Fadi about the Brazil meeting and 1net's role well
after the Montevideo Statement, I do not know how either "1net" or the I* leaders could
have been "seeking" anything...  I  will admit to probably as much surprise as anyone
else on this list, but it is what it is.

At this point, until there is a seated 1net coordinating committee, I know of no mechanism
for "1net" to even respond to the meeting organizers about its role (whatever that may be)
and any assertion that the I* leaders might have been seeking a role in a meeting which
which wasn't even conceived of (let alone discussed) at the time of our gathering in
Montevideo is invalid.

Thanks,
/John

Disclaimer:  My views alone. (As one of the I* leaders via my role at ARIN,  I was part
                    of the discussions that led to the Montevideo Statement and the idea of
                    a 1net initiative - that predates any discussion or announcement of the
                    Brazil meeting)