[discuss] IPv6 Deployment and IG

Bjoern Hoehrmann derhoermi at gmx.net
Thu Dec 26 22:25:46 UTC 2013

* John Curran wrote:
>The counterpoint is that the technically community has often discounted
>the real-world public policy implications of its work, with the result
>being lack of government engagement where it's needed.  To be specific,
>there are often underlying assumptions that the only effective approach
>in areas such an unsolicited bulk email, viruses and botnets is improved
>countermeasures, whereas actual engagement with governments working a
>common framework of mechanisms (technical, operational, _and_ legal)
>against the underlying phenomena might yield more effective results.

One can make that assumption without dicounting any "real-world public
policy implications" so your specific example does not illustrate your
point. It also seems a fine assumption to make. Militaristic societies
like the United States of America are unlikely to ratify treaties that
prohibit weaponisation of viruses and botnets, as a simple example. It
would be nice, as another example, to have laws against deceptive soft-
ware practises that result in people "installing" software they do not
want to have, which is the main source for "viruses" in my experience,
but, well, it's the "CAN-SPAM Act", not the "CANNOT-SPAM Act".