[discuss] [governance] Report from the BR meeting local organizing group - Dec 2013

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Dec 27 11:02:09 UTC 2013

On Dec 27, 2013, at 1:26 AM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net<mailto:parminder at itforchange.net>> wrote:

John

Thanks for your response and the information you have shared...

I can of course agree with you that 1Net, not yet having any clear purpose or structure in place, should hardly be in a position to strongly seek anything...

There is little doubt (at least in my mind) that a seated 1net coordinating committee can
establish exactly what role 1net will take on with respect to making appointments to any
international meeting committees.

I think it clearly follows that if 1Net is not 'seeking' anything, there are some extremely, repeat, extremely, powerful people seeking such a role for 1Net.... I leave people to make their own guesses who these powerful people might be.... But this fact certainly puts 1Net is a certain perspective, which at the very least seems to compromise its supposedly open, bottom up, 'movement' character - with which kind of declarations it was launched...

That would certainly be a valid concern if those initiating the 1net platform (the I* leaders)
also seated themselves an interim 1net coordinating committee, then took actions (such as
making appointments) in the name of "1net"...  if anything, I see an extremely strong bias in
the opposite direction to insure that 1net can set its own direction per the representatives
coming from the various communities.

Even before a structure - supposedly, bottom up, participative etc - is built for 1Net, some powerful people seem already convinced (rather, 'know') about its role, purpose, and, I dare extrapolate, even the directions that it will lead to, to be so confident to be  be aggressively pushing it to have such a central role in organising the Brazil meeting....

I can see no other reason why (specific motivations) and how (the power of those so motivated) was, for instance, civil society denied its right to decide the manner of its participation in the Brazil meeting...

I have no idea...  I'd ask those organizing it, but there isn't anyway that "1net" can be doing
such since 1net has done anything yet other than setup a website and call for representatives
for its coordinating committee.

If 1Net is to become the front of such non transparent motivations of some powerful players, it puts an unfortunate shadow on its genuine possibilities, al least some of which I could see and appreciate.

Doesn't that argue all the more reason why it is important for a coordinating committee to be
seated, as soon as possible?

/John

Disclaimer:  My views alone.