[discuss] Government Engagement model [1 of 2] (was: Re: IPv6 Deployment and IG)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sat Dec 28 17:06:52 UTC 2013

On Dec 28, 2013, at 10:16 AM, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi at gmx.net> wrote:

> If Government does not articulate the problems it perceives then it can
> not have the consent of the governed in taking actions to address them.
> In your description, the fault lies exclusively with Government.

Actually, I believe I cited the inherently intergovernmental format of the ITU, the
peculiar fashion in which multiple IGF topics are mashed into single sessions, and
the Internet technical community's brusque handling of government interest in the
Internet all as contributing factors which detract from governments being able to
express their underlying public policy concerns and issues regarding the Internet
(if this did not come across in the original message, then please have my apologies)

Regardless of the reasons for past failure, the real question now is whether we can
improve on past attempts to the point of actually achieving communication between all
interested parties (including governments) regarding their Internet concerns and issues.
I believe that 1net may provide an opportunity to do so, particularly if approached
with an open mind and collaborative spirit.

Thanks!
/John

Disclaimers: My views alone.