[discuss] IPv6 Deployment and IG

Jorge Amodio jmamodio at gmail.com
Sat Dec 28 21:34:49 UTC 2013

> 1/ aren't Governments INSTITUTIONS?

It is more complex than that, IMHO Governments are systems which may have
one or more institutions, there are different types of governments and they
also differ on how they handle government powers.

2/ isn't Governance the exercise of some type  of oversight over attributed
> responsibilities
> Institutions have gotten from somebody? Like developing policy in a
> bottom-up model?

Hmm, not sure where are you going with that idea, but in corporate
governance you have frameworks based on established laws, but each
corporation (as in ICANN) within those frameworks can determine its
governance and how that is recorded varies depending on where the entity is
incorporated.

> 3/ doesn't ICANN, as an operative entity distributing resources, have a
> vey explicit and formally agreed governance framework in the AoC? As
> compared to many other I* members? ICANN s governance can be certainly
> improved, but so also the RIRs and other technical standard setting ones.

ICANN as a whole does not play an operational role, and I'm not sure
"distribute" is the right word. There is some commonly agreed framework due
the transition from the old IANA-USC-USG days but in terms of corporate
governance, ICANN is an independent entity and incorporated under the laws
of the State of California. Given the way the organization has been
incorporated, and being membership less, all governance power is on the
Board of Directors.

> Maybe we can have it sorted out for Brazil.

You mean the 2026 conference ?

>  In my personal view IG does not lack in novel and innovative
> democratic procedures that promote technological progress , but as long as
> its (narrow technical ) community lacks a shared common view of the type of
> institution (s), it's responsibilities (universal access) and legitimacy.
> Just drawing a few charts is not enough.

You will be surprised to learn that many in the technical community have a
very wide view and vast experience working with and for governments.

> And as long as there is disagreement, it will be difficult to convince all
> Governments all the time.

Agreed, it will be nice if one day all governments have some agreement,
still far away from that after the latest WCIT soap opera.

And it is not necessary to convince "them" just educate and provide the
tools and resources so they can do their job

Regards
Jorge