[discuss] Beyon IPv6...(evolution of IPv6 thread to what are we all doing here?)

Joe Alhadeff joseph.alhadeff at oracle.com
Sun Dec 29 17:50:20 UTC 2013

Nathalie:

I think that part of the silence on the list can be explained in 3 ways.

First a number of us joined with a post-Bali near-term focus on the meeting that will take place in Brazil and some of the related meetings beyond that in the hopes of developing a coalition that would preserve the concepts related to the importance and utility of mutlistakeholderism in the Internet Governance conversation.  The question of what those terms may mean is an inherent part of that concept, but will likely present a set of issues that will be with us for some time to come.  You are absolutely right that any real movement towards closure on those issues will require the participation of more than 6 or 7 seven voices.  Part of the question is can we engage in that longer-term constructive conversation while still moving forward on constructive engagement related to the more near-term issues?  While I understand the causal linkage, I think the resolution timeframes are likely to be different; for example the question of the importance of the term "roles" and how the various stakeholder communities understand what the concept of roles mean.  I think we can all agree that we believe that stakeholders should have a broader role than merely being provided an opportunity to provide input, but that does not imply the role of co-decision-maker across the board - that is rooted in context and circumstances. Similarly, looking at the roles of the various institutions currently involved in Internet Governance is a large and complex proposition that may well be beyond the purview of any list beyond a discussion of issues and possibilities.

The second reason for the more limited participation may have to do with some of the earlier dynamics of the list which were, shall we say, less constructive in nature than the more recent exchanges.  We should all work to ensure that the more constructive engagement continues.

The third reason is related to the first and goes back to the expectation of joining the list.  For those who were thinking more near/mid-term the level of detail engaged in the IPv6 conversation, while interesting and generally relevant, may not relate to the specific interests of participation.

A number of posts to the list have bemoaned the inability to move forward based of a lack of common ground/expectation.  This is our Achilles heel.  This is a threaded discussion list and perhaps we can use that feature to better segregate our interests while understanding the need to cross pollinate ideas across the threads?

We all share frustration at what this isn't, the question remains on how to find paths of consensus and possible processes to move us forward.  This is my humble attempt at trying to outline the problem and at least suggest  baby steps forward.

Joe