[discuss] /1net Steering/Coordination Commitee

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Mon Dec 30 00:39:17 UTC 2013

Thanks Suzanne and perhaps I should add some additional information at this
time.

As I made the community aware, that element of CS constituted under the
framework of the "CS Coordinating Committee" (CC:CS) chose to proceed in
relation to Inet and elsewhere in exclusion of the Community Informatics
community (CI); in processes without transparency or accountability; and
with some question as to the appropriateness of the outcomes of their
internal nomination and other processes.

As a direct consequence of this, CI has undertaken to develop its own
transparent and fully accountable nomination process including for
nomination for participation in all aspects of Inet to which Civil Society
has been invited. Since CI represents quite a considerable portion both of
those seeking to be active in the existing CS IG space and overall in the
Internet civil society community as a whole, we expect that Inet will
respond accordingly and include our nominations alongside those of CC:CS in
the determination of their appointments and other actions.

As well, also as previously noted, a significant proportion of our
membership consists of academics/researchers globally working with or on
behalf of those such as marginalized communities in developed and developing
countries, indigenous peoples, older persons, and those with disabilities
among others to enable and empower them through the use of the Internet and
ICTs and therefore we will are undertaking a nomination process for
participation in all aspects of Inet to which academics/researchers are
being invited.

We are currently in the midst of these nomination processes and anticipate
these to have been successfully completed no later than the second week of
January.

(I would be pleased to provide additional details on any aspect of the above
as might be useful.)

Sincerely,

Mike

Please consider the CI Declaration: Internet for the Common Good:
Engagement, Empowerment and Justice
<http://cirn.wikispaces.com/An+Internet+for+the+Common+Good+-+Engagement%2C+
Empowerment%2C+and+Justice+for+All> .

Individual
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?fromEmail=true&formkey=dFNjZ2t
KVHpxUloyakFoWEhVTmdNZFE6MA>  or organizational endorsements
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?usp=drive_web&formkey=dERVUzg2
dllmcElGX3U0TkdFRVRkN3c6MA#gid=0>  are gratefully solicited.