[discuss] Report from the BR meeting local organizing group - Dec 2013

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Mon Dec 30 19:49:57 UTC 2013

On 31/12/2013 04:00, Roland Perry wrote:

> If IPv6 had been devised as backwards compatible, then my problems (and
> those of millions of other business users) would be much less.

This meme needs to die. IPv4 is the problem - since it contains no
provision for variable length addresses, there is mathematically no
such thing as a backwards-compatible design for extended addresses.
We didn't invent the dual stack mechanism because we liked it, but
because (regardless of all design details of IPv6) there was mathematically
no alternative.

    Brian