[discuss] Report from the BR meeting local organizing group - Dec 2013

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Mon Dec 30 21:05:20 UTC 2013

Hi,

Indeed several addressing formats were discussed for v6 encapsulation of
v4 addresses. Even though v6 was limited by its not being a variable
length address, solutions were possible, but were decided against
because they had a few more technical challenges than anyone at the time
wanted to deal with.  But had there been discussion of policy areas that
might have tipped the long term balance point in this engineering
tussle, who knows what solutions might have been worked through to
implementation.

And I remember long discussion about whether NAT as good or evil, which
seems somewhat silly at this point, given that it was pragmatically the
solution.

avri