[discuss] Time to be more precise about Internet Governance

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Tue Dec 31 00:27:43 UTC 2013

Hello,

On 30/12/2013 18:05, Shatan, Gregory S. wrote:
> However, I see that this definition of governance causes
> problems for Brian and why he prefers the (linguistically
> inaccurate) idea that "'governance' must involve
> governments."

I was quite careful *not* to say that; WGIG said it, however.

> Brian's thesis seems to be that Internet (or
> Cross-Border Information) Governance is by definition a
> system that governments must be involved in,

It's hard to imagine a debate about societal issues that
governments are not involved in. I have no difficulty
imagining technical administration without governmental
involvement. My thesis is that using a grand word like
'governance' to describe technical administration is a source
of confused thinking. If a word is understood in different
ways by different people, IMHO it's a good idea not to use
the word at all.

    Brian