[discuss] Time to be more precise about Internet Governance

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Dec 31 09:07:13 UTC 2013

On Tuesday 31 December 2013 01:06 AM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> John,
>
> Thanks for all your comments.
>
>>   Unfortunately, we don't have much widespread recognition of globally shared social
>>   principles and norms applicable to the Internet, so governments increasingly look
>>   to the technical coordination tasks as a means for accomplishing their public policy
>>   objectives.
> That is very true and in a sense it completely states my worries.
> Technical coordination of a global system is never going to accomplish
> widely varying public policy objectives.

Does it mean some level of agreement here that 'technical coordination'
and 'public policy making' should/ will be seen as quite distinct areas
(with a middle space perhaps of bridge/ interface issues), will
different roles for different stakeholders - essentially different
governance models (whether we want to use the term 'governance' or not).

(Sorry, I know I am repeating this, but just trying to bring the
discussion's focus on what I think are the tasks in front of the Brazil
meeting,  which the 1net space is supposed to help facilitate...)

The above formulation is also very significant, and a basic proposition
that needs to be settled either way, because many think/ fear that
ICANN/ 1*'s effort in its engagement with the Brazil meeting is to
extend the ICANN model of governance to the institutional needs of
global Internet public policy making.

To know that this is not intended, and indeed it is understood that the
context and needs of the two spaces - including respective stakeholder
roles - are quite different will be immensely useful (and in my case
very comforting.)

Parminder