[discuss] [IANAtransition] A Summary of IANA Oversight Transition Tasks and Issues

Jordan Carter jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Wed Apr 2 05:40:22 UTC 2014

Hi all,

On 2 April 2014 08:19, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 02/04/2014 06:37, Shatan, Gregory S. wrote:
> > If the DNSA is watching ICANN, and has the right to determine whether
> ICANN (in the DNSA's view) has followed its processes, and can impliedly
> refuse to implement changes that ICANN believes were properly arrived at
> (if the DNSA disagrees), I am more concerned than ever by the
> "single-stakeholder" (i.e., registries only) nature of the proposed DNSA.
>
> Very clearly, that would put the foxes in charge of the henhouse,
> and make a nonsense of the existing multistakeholder mechanisms.

I think an interesting question to ask in this situation is, "if IANA staff
know that ICANN hasn't followed due process in asking them to do something,
are they obliged to do it?"

That's a use-case test that shows one of the benefits of a structural
separation of the IANA function, because in that situation the answer would
clearly be "no". IANA-in-ICANN, the answer is probably "yes."

At the moment, the NTIA could refuse to authorise the change. So the fact
IANA is only structurally separated within ICANN has, as a matter of
principle, less significance.

We need to come to an agreed answer to what can replace the NTIA role, and
this is clearly part of it.

I don't see the DNSA model as being anything other than a structural
separation of the IANA (and in the IGP model, the RZM) functions. The
notion of it overseeing the policy-maker (ICANN) is not the way to build a
multi-stakeholder model IMO.

cheers
Jordan

--
Jordan Carter

Chief Executive
*InternetNZ*

04 495 2118 (office) | +64 21 442 649 (mob)
jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Skype: jordancarter

*To promote the Internet's benefits and uses, and protect its potential.*