[discuss] who has the power? and how do we constrain it?

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Wed Apr 2 18:15:19 UTC 2014

At 02:37 02/04/2014, DAVID JOHNSON wrote:
>And the key question for us is who the contracts will be with -- and
>whether they will be voluntary (or not) -- and whether they will
>constrain arbitrary uses of power.

Dear David,

The first question in this case is the jurisdiction. If code is law,
this means that law induces code. There is no mystery: the removal of
the NTIA transfers the jurisdiction from a politically leading
Executive to the legally applying Legislative. It is, therefore,
ascertaining the US political dominance as a US global adminance.
Switching the internet from a digital protectorate to a colony.

The alternative to the US law is the international law (e.g. UDRP)
being applied by enhanced cooperation as unanimously decided at the
WSIS. This is what has been democratically decided  in Dubai by the
Multitude's majority. The US/OECD wants to protect the former global
order instead of competing in the emerging one. The NTIA opposes its
"government free" diktat, and tries to impose a biased (through the
selection mechanism) MSism alternative.

The question is, therefore, very well put: "whether they will be
voluntary [democratic] (or not [dominance])."

Due to the importance of the internet in our lives, this is deciding
for a US dominated, a fragmented, or a new order world with a
different granularity. The status-quo strategy purposely leaves us
with the "US dominated vs. fragmented" dilemma by the impossibility
of a technical alternative. The internet architectural completion
leads us to a new stable order where the granularity is neither the
States nor the Stakeholder but rather the person. This is the WSIS
"people centered" information society consensus, where every person,
corporation, and State is on an equal footing.

The trick we, the people, have been opposed for 35 years is that some
digital stakeholders (or SuperUsers' technical and political culture)
are more equal than others. I am sorry, but this is not the way the
world, internet, and namespaces are designed. You see it, for
example, IRT the root lie: you can fool all the people some of the
time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all
the people all the time. I am a firm believer in the people. If given
the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The
great point is to bring them the real facts. This is what the DNSA
(<http://dnsa.org/>http://dnsa.org) will be about, by the Multitude
for the Multitude.

Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the
right to rise up, and shake off the existing governance, and form a
new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most
sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the
world. This is because we the people are the rightful masters of both
congresses and the courts, not to overthrow your US Constitution but
to overthrow the men who pervert that Constitution. These words are
not mine and are true.

jfc