[discuss] ICANN accountability and Internet Governance Principles

Seth Johnson seth.p.johnson at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 08:56:39 UTC 2014

One way to look at it is, this is just the circumstance during the
transition, until the NTIA actually hands over IANA to whatever's
cooked up.

But the other thing is, at bottom what you're seeing revealed here
might indicate that many might not actually quite have the ability to
conceive something that will work effectively to assure a framework
that secures the "culture of free expression" *except* through the US
being in this position in the background.

And actually, that's for good reason.  It actually reflects the nature
of the international arena, where there's no priority of the people,
just of governments.  But at the same time it is a failure of
imagination, because there are some structural ways to provide for
strong standing for fundamental rights.

There can be "big power" that always talks, so to speak -- but the
test is really about whether the framework we end up handing over to
is one that "we all" know at bottom that we can claim "for us all."

As a parallel to consider as an illustration: with the of-noted
dominance of the government (in the US and elsewhere) by "big
multinational corporations" that has so thoroughly taken over that we
often feel we have no effective recourse -- we do still have at bottom
the fundamental claim that our free governments are at bottom
governments "of we the people" because we set them up that way --
which means, at bottom, we know we have the most fundamental recourse.

That's what a real, actually effective framework would provide.  But
that doesn't exist, really, internationally, because governments (and
multinationals) have the "epistemic priority" -- there's no
fundamental priority of the people there.

(BTW -- the business of a front face saying MSism, with a background
reserving the "real power" is actually common in "stakeholder" type
situations.  In business, there's often a facilitator-speak used that
says a lot about "surveying and engaging stakeholders" but really at
bottom any business (the massive majority anyway) are "authoritarian"
and what kind of work culture it really is is given in the way things
are "borne out" or done at bottom -- and often that translates into
just what kind of chief executive is running the show at bottom [say,
like an "RFC Editor" like John Postel].  MSism isn't really democracy
in structural and fundamental terms, it's just what people are saying
right now while pondering the notion of international Internet
"governance" or somesuch.  But again, you can still devise effective
structures that do position things well -- if people start thinking in
those lines.)

Seth