[discuss] Current drive

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 15:44:34 UTC 2014

Analogies of course are dangerous . but I'm not sure that I see how what you
are suggesting follows. to extend my public transit analogy, how or what
folks wear to get on and off the bus doesn't really matter and if they
choose to have special shoes for bus riding so be it (but of course, a well
ordered public transit system would make appropriate accommodation for the
handicapped, seniors, mothers with young children etc. and would likely
influence the design of buses through mass ordering but I can't see how this
would affect the design of automobiles or bicycles for that matter.

For a very long time in many (most) parts of the world having access to a
dial tone was either provided as a public utility or as a highly regulated
monopoly. I'm not sure that I see the difference between having an "always
on" Internet access and being able to pick up the telephone and have a
dial-tone (and yes I know all the arguments against PTT's etc. but I would
suggest that those arguments were about a different time and different
technology with much different implications and impacts. --

How the dial tone was provided was a "black box" for most people provided by
the good folks with slide rules and pocket protectors. I see no reason why
something similar couldn't happen with the Internet. How the Internet is
used whether for spam or for surveillance etc. is of course something that
needs to be addressed but somewhat analogous issues were present in those
days as well and there were mechanisms in place to respond.