[discuss] Current drive

Jefsey jefsey at jefsey.com
Fri Apr 4 15:44:22 UTC 2014

At 17:14 04/04/2014, John Curran wrote:
>By that logic, should we not also "govern" the design and
>functionality of the actual
>devices used to access the Internet?  I am having trouble
>understanding why we'd
>be so careless in allowing a variety of software and hardware
>designs, given the
>need for consistent "utility-like" delivery, and certainly we could
>make a major impact
>in areas such as security and spam if the configuration was not left
>to the vagaries
>of actual users...    ;-)

John,
what do you believe that status-quo is? You did a big impact in
security (cf. NSA) and spam (9n% of the traffic)! This is why the
last thing status-quo people want is a technological governance. They
bet that the vagaries of actual users will never really improve the
things and the mess will continue justifying their pervasive
non-/neutrality cometition. My bet is they went a bridge or two too
far. Difficult to know. We will see on 19/9/9.
jfc