[discuss] First Net

Jefsey jefsey at jefsey.com
Sat Apr 5 01:14:04 UTC 2014

At 19:57 04/04/2014, nathalie coupet wrote:
>Hello All,
>Could you be able to tell me whether First Net is an Intranet,
>another internet (with another root, and name-space resolution system)?

FirstNet is a totally different system. However, nothing prevents
bridges. This is typically what VGNs are about.

There are geographical infrastructure networks, like telephone lines,
radiowaves, TV, FistNet. All of them can be modelized along the
network pile (you heard of the OSI part of it). A bridge is to make
two technologies compatible at a given layer, and therefore above. It
means that for uses at that layer and above, the two networks can be
used as a single virtual one.

This is like using the internet from your mobile and your lap-tp and
your Home PC. FirstNet will have its own namespace, whatever the
binaries being used and the syntax. It is up to its designers to make
it compatible with the DNS. If this was the case, it is possible to
imagine connections on the police, or firemen VGNs of some city, or a
global one, using a FirstNet "FN'" DNS class, with its own root, to
be sure there is no possible cross conflict with domain names sold by
ICANN registries.

There is obviously the same need, for Classes as for IP addresses, of
an allocation standardization. IETF has reserved some of them for
users. Each country should have its portion as well as world wide
spaces (sea, air, space, health, etc.) to be managed by the
national/international law. The best is probably to proceed as for
the ccTLDs and get them allocated as per ISO 3166.

Best
jfc