[discuss] What is MSism?

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Sat Apr 5 01:15:03 UTC 2014

On Apr 4, 2014, at 6:59 PM, Pranesh Prakash <pranesh at cis-india.org> wrote:

> As I pointed out to some peers during a talk I gave on Wednesday, the only place in IETF where I see institutional affiliations as structurally present are in IDs, RFCs, etc.

Indeed - a necessary wrinkle in the system simply to aid in recognition of
the actual person contributing - if there were a better way which allowed
omission of such, it would not surprise me if the IETF moved to it.  The fact
that a single organization is listed for people who have often are involved
with a wide and varied range of activities shows how anachronistic the idea
of "an institutional affiliation" is...  the reality in today's world should
probably be a biographical link for each person, thus allowing their full
range of activities, interests (and potential conflicts) to be expressed.

The IETF practices "open multistakeholderism", whereas ICANN has a more
formal "representative multistakeholderism" approach - both are still forms
of the multistakeholder model, i.e. engagement models that full involvement
of all interested parties in consensus-based decision making processes.

FYI,
/John

Disclaimer: My views alone.