[discuss] Current drive

Stephanie Perrin stephanie.perrin at mail.utoronto.ca
Mon Apr 7 20:26:03 UTC 2014

I agree with this.  As a Canadian, watching the fight over who was responsible for telecom regulation, I did not wonder when the province of Saskatchewan took the matter to the Supreme Court.  The feds, backing Ma Bell, had let them refuse to serve farmers in rural areas, leaving the provinces to do it and fund it.
We see the same issue being played out with broadband service and other public utilities.  It is a tough country to wire.
I agree with the concept of enlightened self interest, but I would remind all those who (wonder of wonders) appear to be reaching consensus on this issue, that sometimes there are people out there who identify very strongly with those who don't have a voice, and who choose to devote themselves to fighting for a bit more equity, whether the grist for that mill is food, broadband, water, speech, or privacy.  That does not make those individuals saints, but they are not all elitists either (referring back to an earlier post).  The problem of who speaks for civil society, and how we credential those who purport to do so, remains unsolved.  "By their works ye shall know them", if you will forgive the biblical reference, is not actually going to be decipherable fast enough, I suspect, to rehabilitate the multi-stakeholder model in this fast moving Internet governance discussion.
On the point raised by John below:  I see a lot of rhetoric in the Netmundial discussion re facilitating innovation.  I am not calling for PTS like regulation of terminal attachment equipment (that would indeed be a step backward) but the fact is, a no-holds barred approach to apps, devices, and personal data snatching is hardly in the public interest.  It throws unwary users onto untrusted platforms, with untrusted players, in a global marketplace.  Suggestions as to how to fix that problem, in the public interest rather than the market interest, without a dinosaur-like return to certification, would be welcome.
Stephanie Perrin