[discuss] Transparency and Accountability vis-à-vis ICANN and the IANA functions

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 22:33:55 UTC 2014

On 08/04/2014 07:31, Shatan, Gregory S. wrote:
> I agree with Milton, and would also question the concept that the public interest is "mutually exclusive" of so-called "private interests."

A wise man* (who was a research director of CERN some years ago) once
defined his job as creating the best possible distribution of
unhappiness. (His job was actually distributing the budget among
competing research groups and their support services).

I think that's very close to the question of what is the public
interest. We can never make everybody happy simultaneously, but
distributing unhappiness fairly is perhaps possible. A situation
in which each stakeholder [group] raises its issues but some wise
decision making body strikes a compromise is as close as we can get.

  Brian

*Lorenzo Foà (1937–2014)