[discuss] ICANN proposal for NTIA transition published

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Thu Apr 10 07:07:15 UTC 2014

In message
<DBD9F335EA4A684FA2640EEE94EEF27222C3AD0C at USPDCMAIL002P.reedsmith.com>,
at 16:52:30 on Wed, 9 Apr 2014, "Shatan, Gregory S."
<GShatan at ReedSmith.com> writes
>It's because ICANN believes ICANN should keep the IANA function, and
>because ICANN wants to keep the IANA function, by any means necessary.

Presumably you are therefore saying "yes" to the first of the two
alternatives I mentioned?

>There are certainly proposals to take IANA out of ICANN.  I'm not sure
>what the "customers" of IANA think of these proposals or keeping IANA
>ICANN.

That's why some people might think it was the second alternative. In
other words, before you can decide who gets the job, you have to
complete the process of deciding what the job is, how a transition away
from NTIA (to anyone at all) would be managed, and how the successful
candidate would be chosen.

--
Roland Perry