[discuss] NETmundial / Neelie Kroes: My thoughts on NETmundial and the Future of Internet Governance

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Sat Apr 12 16:52:52 UTC 2014

It's great that Vice President Kroes chose to address the Netmundial outcome draft with a public expression of her opinion. It would have been possible for her to express these opinions privately via the HLC, but she allowed the broader public to participate in the dialogue by making these comments open.
I agree with many things in her opinion, including her view that the document needs to go farther to develop specific roadmaps on some of the tougher issues.
Kroes rightly puts a lot of emphasis on the IANA transition, however, she missed an important opportunity to impose some discipline on ICANN and the USG. The scoping document released by ICANN, as many of us have noted on the IANA transition lists, is an unmitigated disaster in that ICANN has tried to rule as "out of scope" any solution that would not give ICANN itself full control of the IANA functions. That kind of sleight of hand is all too typical of today's ICANN; ICANN's management probably believes they can get away with ignoring the cries of protest emanating from the community it has convened, but if the European commission (and the US Commerce Department) call this out they will probably have to come to heel.

At a more philosophical level I also have a feeling that her view is confusing or incoherent on a specific topic, namely "democratic" governance. She speaks repeatedly about "democratic principles" and "democratic process," as do many on this list. However, those principles and processes typically are rooted in citizenship in a particular nation state with its own (territorially exclusive) legal regime and rights. Moreover, democracy in this sense inherently involves a single, centralized government. She says this in the context of critiquing or expressing reservations about "self-organization." At the same time, she praises "distributed institutional models for Internet governance, avoiding centralised solutions as a default." I find these expressions to be contradictory, or at least not well thought-out. Distributed, networked governance is never going to be "democratic" in the classic sense, and democratic governance is never going to be as distributed and flexible as self-organization by engaged stakeholders. There is a tradeoff here, and in a transnational context you can't really call for "democracy" unless you are also calling for a centralized world government. Kroes is a politician not a political philosopher or theorist, but I think it's important to flag this.

--MM