[discuss] What does this mean: "equal technical treatment of all protocols"

Chip Sharp (chsharp) chsharp at cisco.com
Tue Apr 15 03:48:42 UTC 2014

Reading through the draft Outcome Document for Netmundial that was released today.

First question:
Can someone involved in the drafting of this text please explain what this means?

"equal technical treatment of all protocols and data, delivered by the underlying communications”

I believe Brian had a similar question on the leaked document.
I don’t believe “equal technical treatment of all protocols” is really possible on the Internet (or any coherent network), especially while meeting the “Unified and Unfragmented Space” principle.

Perhaps if I understood the intent behind the text, it would make more sense.

Thanks,
Chip

*** I am employed by Cisco Systems, Inc, but these comments reflect my own opinion and not any position of Cisco.***