[discuss] Troll

joseph alhadeff joseph.alhadeff at oracle.com
Wed Apr 16 11:19:12 UTC 2014

Strikes me that this conversation of fixing the broken - on both sides -
is the waste of time we have been seeking to avoid.  While the list is
way too packed with conspiracy theory, presumption presented as fact,
over generalizations and impractical arguments, for my taste, and
despite resulting in less marginal utility, the comments are not
irrelevant to the conversation.  This list has never been limited to the
narrower issues that might be relevant to Brazil. Early on we had a
person suggesting salary information and all sorts of personal invective
and non-sense.  To me that was a troll.  What we have now is perhaps
much less than optimal in productivity, but not out of bounds with a
broad view of the list's topical relevance.  A positive reminder for
people to keep to thread topics or start new topics  and perhaps a
request for greater care and delineation between opinion and
demonstrated fact could be more helpful.  At the maximum, I think we
could suggest that some threads are not topical to this list and ask
that they be pursued elsewhere.  It would also be useful for posters not
to presuppose that they speak on behalf of the unseen majority, unless
there is some demonstration that they have an actual representative
capacity.  One may otherwise opine /beliefs that most people might think
that/... as a more accurate phrasing.

Short hand: a vote for enhanced civility, productivity and fact-based
argument on all sides.  Absent those, the list will become irrelevant on
its own with no need for exclusions.

Best

Joe