[discuss] we need to fix what may be broken

Lee Howard Lee at asgard.org
Wed Apr 16 13:26:27 UTC 2014

In recent times, we have witnesses a significant failure in governance:

- The NSA captured metadata on millions of phone calls, without warrants.
- The IPv6 transition has accelerated in many countries despite government
indifference.
- Credit cards continue to be insecure; the U.S. doesn't even require
chip-and-PIN.
- Facebook has updated its interface and everyone hates it.
- Google bought a drone company.

Governments have governance problems; some of those problems spill into
the Internet.
The world is not a safe place; some people try to make it safer, some try
to exploit the insecurity.
Sometimes, citizens or companies do stupid things (defined as, "Decisions
with which I disagree.").

How would improved "coordination" (not centralization, apparently) improve
any of the issues you or I have identified?

The Internet works because it is decentralized, innovation occurs at the
edges, without coordination ("permission") and requires only
interoperability.

Lee