[discuss] NTIA "Oversight" (was Dear ICANN - Feedback)

Alejandro Pisanty apisanty at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 23:11:36 UTC 2014

Hi,

this discussion should be framed against the delusion of global government
(phrases like "a global rule of law" are strong warning indicators.) (this
is not to add or detract to accountability; only a boundary condition.)

Another interesting framework question, already suggested by Mike Roberts's
acute observations, would be the question "who pays for this." It seems
that there has been an underlying assumption that the NTIA-function
substitute would be financed out of funds currently managed by ICANN.

What independent entities - say, deeply concerned NGOs or individuals in
developing countries - would pay for the cost of their seat out of pocket,
in ways that are accountable and transparent? (Hint: government subsidies
don't count.)

Let's not get into the contradiction that the same parties with claims
against ICANN financial contributions as "domain name tax" etc. are not the
ones happily looking to spend these same funds; or if so, make the
assumption explicit.

Yours,

Alejandro Pisanty

On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 5:48 PM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

> [...]

     Dr. Alejandro Pisanty
Facultad de Química UNAM
Av. Universidad 3000, 04510 Mexico DF Mexico
+52-1-5541444475 FROM ABROAD
+525541444475 DESDE MÉXICO SMS +525541444475
Blog: http://pisanty.blogspot.com
Unete al grupo UNAM en LinkedIn,
http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/22285/4A106C0C8614
Twitter: http://twitter.com/apisanty