[discuss] NTIA "Oversight" (was Dear ICANN - Feedback)

Jefsey jefsey at jefsey.com
Thu Apr 17 01:43:01 UTC 2014

At 01:51 17/04/2014, DAVID JOHNSON wrote:
>I am certainly not talking about "government oversight through legal
>rule-making"
>Part of the "rule of law" is enforcing contracts.
>Icann is exhibit A in the proposition that globally enforceable
>contracts can create a rule of law.
>The question is how to use such contracts (between icann itself and
>some external body) to create trust in icann itself.

David,
please read Neelie Kroes. The point is legal harmonization. This is
not about contract/commercial law. It is network neutrality and the
Telecommunications Act. The US legislation is a very special one.
Innovation everywhere depends on network neutrality. The pressure is
going to be strong. The NTIA wants to uncouple from ICANN in order to
keep two different negociation tools.

All this is also to be seen in the TTIP perspective. And other global issues.
jfc