[discuss] undisclosed aliases

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 04:23:01 UTC 2014

Jay,

You're fortunate that I rescued your message from the trash can ;-).

On 17/04/2014 16:08, Jay Daley wrote:
> On 17/04/2014, at 4:04 pm, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Excuse cross-posting, but I didn't start it.
>>
>> The way I deal with mail from addresses that I consider to be
>> trolls is to automatically delete them unread, and a similar
>> approach works well for mail threads about alleged trolls.
>
> Hmm.  What is your opinion on people using undisclosed aliases on a mailing list in order to establish conversation where there is none and support positions that otherwise have no support?

That's exactly the reason why rough consensus is preferable to formal
voting or straw polls. It generally isn't too hard to figure out when
something like this is going on. "On the Internet, nobody knows you're
a dog." Well, actually, I think they usually do.

Ah - you asked for my *opinion*. I think it's shameful.

   Brian