[discuss] we need to fix what may be broken

Jordan Carter jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Thu Apr 17 05:01:31 UTC 2014

Dear all,

On Thursday, 17 April 2014, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com>
wrote:

> In a word, none of those issues are Internet governance.

This is precisely the subject of debate in netmundial and other forums like
the igf. If there was universal agreement with your definition, then the
igf agenda would be more than somewhat different.

I try and think of governance of, and governance on. I think Bertrand de la
Chapelle was the first I heard coin this but it may well have been around
for ages.

Maybe it's just 'Internet issues' but it's something.

Cheers
Jordan

How, for example, is the USA bugging Angela Merkel's cell phone
> anything to do with Internet governance? How is the NSA snagging
> and analysing billions of email headers a defect in Internet governance?
> Sounds like a problem with NSA governance to me. Was it an error in
> telegraph cable governance that led to the Zimmermann telegram incident
> in 1917?
>
> I could continue but I won't. This business is complex enough without
> dragging in irrelevant problems.
>
> Regards
>    Brian
>
> On 17/04/2014 11:43, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> > Apologies for the top post, but this will be illegible if I try to
> interleave from my phone.
> >
> > I would like to know why "governance" in particular is the answer to
> even one of these problems.
> >
> > The OpenSSL case is a good example.  People have freeloaded on that
> project for years, offering it precious little support while leaving
> security auditing and cryptanalysis for "someone else".  If you think that
> trash in your neighborhood park is a problem, the answer is not to form a
> committee. The answer is to make like Pete Seeger and pick up some trash.
> >
> > Yahoo's DMARC decision is another good example.  That is a service
> supported mostly by advertising. Don't like what they're doing?  Organize a
> boycott.  That'll change things. Ask Mozilla.
> >
> > IPv6 is indeed a problem, and I will not defend the series of decisions
> that got us here (though it's trickier than many seem to imagine). But
> actually, in my experience, v6 just works now.  I use it all the time.
>  It's not a "governance" problem, but an economics problem.
> >
> > And it seems to me that there we arrive at the issue: this is about
> who's going to pay. That's very well, but I don't see why it's "Internet
> governance".
> >
> > Best regards,

Jordan Carter
Chief Executive, InternetNZ