[discuss] NTIA "Oversight" (was Dear ICANN - Feedback)

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wzb.eu
Thu Apr 17 06:19:32 UTC 2014

Am 17.04.14 00:23, schrieb DAVID JOHNSON:
> I agree with Mike (!) that "oversight should not constitute
> "substitute judgment" And that the internal "accountability"
> mechanisms (like creation of consensus policies in the gnso) are a
> different and important thing. And that the whole point of the
> exercise is that "oversight" should not be governmental.

I agree too. Accountability by definition is, or should be, separate
from substantive rule making.

> But I don't agree that oversight "does not need formal enforcement
> mechanisms". What it needs, primarily, is a very clear crisp
> statement of the specific standards it is entitled to enforce (and,
> by inference, those it cannot).

I am not sure what you mean by standards in this context. Enforcement
mechanisms
should cover procedural as well as missions-related matters.

Do you think that enforcement standards for the IANA functions-related
oversight should be separate and thus different from that of other
oversight areas?

> The best analogy, in my view, is to a constitutional court, with
> associated (and quite limited) constitutional standards. We don't ask
> courts to decide on what is in the public interest -- that is the job
> of legislatures, or, in the case of ICANN, the PDP process.

I agree and have used the same analogy at the IGF-D.

> What Brazil could achieve is a clear statement that there is a real
> global internet polity,that it wants to rely on multi-stakeholder
> policy development to make binding rules to which even states should
> defer, and that the institutions charged with that political function
> will establish rule of law oversight mechanisms that constrain
> potential abuses of the powers granted by that polity.

Does your global internet polity imply that ICANN would transform from a
contract-based regime to a body that sets law-like rules?

> To be specific, and in particular, and hopefully as a constructive
> suggestion, I think establishment of such a judicial oversight, via a
> contract with specific standards, could make most folks comfortable
> with leaving the iana function inside icann.

If I understand you correctly, an independent oversight with enforcement
capacity should make it irrelevant whether IANA functions are carried
out by ICANN or another, separate body.

jeaentte

Who that contract is