[discuss] NTIA "Oversight" (was Dear ICANN - Feedback)

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 14:23:42 UTC 2014

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 2:55 PM, DAVID JOHNSON
<davidr.johnson at verizon.net>wrote:

> On Apr 17, 2014, at 2:19 AM, Jeanette Hofmann wrote:
>

> If I understand you correctly, an independent oversight with enforcement
> capacity should make it irrelevant whether IANA functions are carried out
> by ICANN or another, separate body.
>

> I think some (including ICANN) want to keep iana functions inside of
> ICANN. I am saying that would be easier to achieve if independent oversight
> with enforcement capacity were in place.

+1 and that oversight is what i think is required to be developed during
this transitioning process.

>  And oversight of both iana and icann should be combined insofar as iana
> is a function internal to ICANN.

I almost +1'd this but on the second thought; i don't think combining the 2
functions (i.e categorising the ICANN policy part as a function and IANA as
another function) would help provide a good backup mechanism incase there
is need to do so in future. They should remain structurally and
functionally separate (not institutional but departmental wise) and the
oversight process for IANA should be multistakeholder based and immune in
nature (especially from any possible ICANN leadership Veto). When there is
a need to challenge its immunity, then it should come from the community.

Regards

<http://goog_1872880453>seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng
<seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng>*