[discuss] we need to fix what may be broken

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Thu Apr 17 19:42:28 UTC 2014

 > I don't see what ICANN can do about the IPv6 transition.

This gave me pause.

I'm wondering if the assertion is "don't see" or "can do"?

The former is understandable and invites suggestions, but taken as a
whole I sense it's meant to say it's outside of ICANN's ability or
purview.

Do we all agree that if this IPv6 transition fails then everything
else we are talking about here crumbles to dust?

If you don't agree then you should, there's almost no room for
dispute.

No doubt something would arise but an IPv6 transition failure would be
viewed as such an abject failure by ICANN, the RIRs, IANA, IETF, and
others that they would almost have to be usurped.

Ok, that establishes the importance.

We all agree that "ICANN" is an acronym for "Internet Corporation for
Names and Numbers"?

And that IPv6 addresses are one of those Numbers?

And that the reason DNS exists is to translate domain names into those
Numbers?

And that every single device on the internet either has to have at
least one of those numbers or has to be proxied by a device with one
of those numbers?

I hope that establishes ICANN's role in the IPv6 transition.

What they "CAN" do is a fine question.

Maybe it's going swimmingly and they don't need to do anything but if
Geoff Huston says there's a reason to be concerned that's a very good
reason to be concerned.

I'm not sure this is the right place to continue discussing this, I
just didn't want to leave that comment unanswered.

Something I am always amazed by when I attend ICANN meetings (which is
often) is how little attention seems to be given to the IPv6
transition.

I am interested but generally have trouble finding more than one or
two sessions which address (haha) this issue. Some which seem like
they might upon attendance appear to have little or no interest.

To me this is a bit like an organization whose mission is to grow
crops stating that seeds and water and sunshine and soil are outside
of its scope, they only want to talk about the crops.

--
        -Barry Shein

Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Dial-Up: US, PR, Canada