[discuss] More on Internet technical community thoughts ...

George Sadowsky george.sadowsky at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 20:17:21 UTC 2014

Michael,

Thanks!  This is part of testing the hypothesis that stakeholder groups often talk past each other and not with each other.

1st quibble: I think I understand what you mean.  The IETF has surely spawned its own unique culture, and that has happened to some extent within most if not all of the organizations that cooperate to manage the Internet infrastructure.  Cultures do depend to a fair extent upon social norms being accepted by those in the community, an they evolve and the culture matures.  So, yes, certainly social relationships do play a part.  In fact, sometimes it’s the social relationship within the common culture that is the basis of trust between individuals and between organizations,rather than any formal structure.

2nd quibble: Your proposed change has merit for the reasons that you describe, and  I agree with the implication that you make.  However, if we are just concerned about the technical side of things, it may be a slight overreach for us to claim that it helps everyone.  I and speak only as far as the reach of the technical community goes, it’s accurate.  The vast majority would agree with you that it affects everyone, just a s the vat majority of the technical community would agree with the major precepts that underlie many civil society organizations.

Regards,

George