[discuss] we need to fix what may be broken

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 01:22:21 UTC 2014

On 19/04/2014 10:43, David Conrad wrote:
> Carlos,
>
> On Apr 18, 2014, at 2:51 PM, Carlos A. Afonso <ca at cafonso.ca> wrote:
>> Point being that this is what I think Barry Shein means when he writes
>> "...RIRs are contractual entities of ICANN...".
>
> I would be quite surprised if Raul, Adiel, Axel, Paul, and John (just to mention a few) would feel this way.
>
> I believe the view of the RIR communities is that they derive their authority from the communities they serve in a bottom up fashion, not from ICANN in a top-down fashion.

Indeed. And consider what would happen if ICANN attempted to
*withdraw* its recognition of any of the RIRs. The bad things
that would happen would happen to ICANN. The RIRs and the Internet
would be just fine.

Another way bad things could happen to ICANN is for one or more
of the RIRs to withdraw their recognition of ICANN.

   Brian