[discuss] we need to fix what may be broken

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Sat Apr 19 06:44:33 UTC 2014

On April 19, 2014 at 05:42 paf at frobbit.se (Patrik Fältström) wrote:

 > On 18 apr 2014, at 22:46, Barry Shein <bzs at world.std.com> wrote:
 >
 > > In theory you could put the entire nation of China (just an example)
 > > behind one modest IPv6 block
 >
 > No. Routing is based on AS numbers and because of that "areas that an ISP is covering". Your theory only works in the cases where the ISPs cover areas that are smaller than countries. A very rare case actually.

It was a hypothetical way to reduce the IPv6 core routing table.

Someone asked what, in extremum, could be done if there was a problem
with the growth of the routing table? And by that I mean a big
problem, an existential problem.

I said you could put big populations like China (for example) behind,
in essence, one ASN with one big (e.g., /32) IPv6 block.

The assertion was that this could be done by fiat in the face of an
emergency.

Yes, it would cause disruption to ISPs which cross those boundaries.

P.S. There's no deep reason to divide the problem up by nation state,
any large divisioning would do. But nation states do tend to have
mechanisms to cooperate and coordinate internally within their
nation-state.

--
        -Barry Shein

Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Dial-Up: US, PR, Canada