[discuss] [governance] [ciresearchers] NETmundial documentsonline for comment

Alejandro Pisanty apisanty at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 14:57:45 UTC 2014

Michael,

Avri's statement is not "against democracy."

"Multistakeholderism" is not being used as an "ism", suggesting an ideology
or a belief. It is shorthand for "participation of all stakeholders" and,
depending on the case at hand, advances, complements or blazes a trail for
larger-scale democratic processes (which as has been discussed, do not have
a unique form.)

The fallacy in your argument, I think, is called "false dilemma."

Alejandro Pisanty

On Sat, Apr 19, 2014 at 7:38 AM, michael gurstein <gurstein at gmail.com>wrote:

> Do I need to say how utterly preposterous is the following.
>

> First we have the statement "some form of multistakeholderism is
> appropriate for any Internet governance issue"... err "some *form* of
> multistakeholderim"... exactly how many "forms" are there and do they have
> different, species, families, genuses--or perhaps there are 98 or 106 or
> 118 as in Mendeleeyev’s periodic table, or perhaps there are infinite
> numbers as in the number of the names of god or the number of angels
> dancing on the heads of pins….
>

> And then “any Internet governance issue”… is that any possible Internet
> governance issue, any practical Internet governance issue, any governance
> issue that our friends in the US State Department might want to attribute
> as “Internet governance” or….
>

> Then we have a totally new term--"uni-multistakeholder system"--one that
> I've never seen before and which evidently Mr. Google has never heard of
> either... no hits among the several billion websites. No definition just
> plunked in their to shore up a very very leaking argument (epicycling<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deferent_and_epicycle>anyone?).
>

> And then we have “What is most problematic is the view that
> multistakeholderism only consists of one model” … problematic to who
> exactly? Evidently not to the proponents of MSism for whom a governance
> system that has been in evolution for 1000 years or so and currently among
> other things is bestirring the energies and hopes of 1.3 or so billion
> people in  India ,among a couple of billion other devotees elsewhere in the
> world, is something that can be casually discarded in favor of a will o’
> the whisp which evidently has as many forms as Sally Rand<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sally_Rand>had bubbles.
>

> And then we have this one… “Each issue has an appropriate form of the
> multistakeholder model, different sets of actors, roles and
> responsibilities”… each issue has its own private Multistakeholder model…
> hmmm… so how is that determined, who makes the choice, who does the
> vetting, who gets to play at being a stakeholder … does all of this appear
> as by magic… Houdini as the guiding force of MSism conjuring up a new and
> of course “appropriate” form at will and on call…
>

> And going on we have this “The difficulty is coming to consensus on the
> proper mix.” Yep, I’m sure given the infinite number of models and the
> equally infinite number of possible issues and the virtually infinite
> number of potential participants reaching that hallowed ground, a… (pause
> for drum rolls) Multistakeholder consensus will very likely be difficult;
>  unless of course, as would inevitably be the case, a small group of
> privileged insiders would get together and decide what the “consensus” will
> be and then having announced this to the waiting and expectant multitudes
> go on to reap the benefits of their ever so pomo post-democratic form of
> decision making.

> [...]

     Dr. Alejandro Pisanty
Facultad de Química UNAM
Av. Universidad 3000, 04510 Mexico DF Mexico
+52-1-5541444475 FROM ABROAD
+525541444475 DESDE MÉXICO SMS +525541444475
Blog: http://pisanty.blogspot.com
Unete al grupo UNAM en LinkedIn,
http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/22285/4A106C0C8614
Twitter: http://twitter.com/apisanty