[discuss] The relevance of power relationship in Ig was Re: [] NETmundial ...

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 14:45:10 UTC 2014

Avri,

I have three points to make...
	1. the issue following Snowden is not "passive surveillance" but
something much much more active and sinister as per my reference to the US
intervention in the Copenhagen environment talks pointed to in my reply to
Nii....

	2. my reference to the matter of power and resources in IG was
toward the basis on which we make our analyses i.e. how do we
examine/compare the various approaches/models of IG... If we ignore issues
of power then we blindly may be accepting models which reinforce existing
power rather than challenge this... (or finding ways of effectively working
with it).

I've yet to see a useful discussion comparing MSism with other forms of
intervention (e.g. democracy based) where there is a full and realistic
inclusion in the analysis of the very real likelihood of the application of
social and economic power by certain "stakeholder groups" and of associated
overt and covert interventions into those processes.

	3. I really wish there could be a moratorium on folks generalizing
(what is generally a libertarian perspective) from their very particular
experiences with the increasingly dysfunctional political system in the US
onto the range of (in most cases) rather more functional democratic systems
throughout the world (eg. "we don't need to contribute thousands of
currency-units for a seat at a fund raising event in order to talk to ...
leaders").  This is a form of cultural blindness and myopia that is both
irritating and potential dangerous since it tends to misdirect and confuse
discussions away from the realities of the majority of the world's political
systems which are not descending head long into either oligarchy or
plutocracy (or at least on at the same rate...