[discuss] let's get concrete

Joseph Alhadeff joseph.alhadeff at oracle.com
Mon Apr 21 11:01:37 UTC 2014

I guess it's been a while since I focused on the language you quote, what specifically is the import today  of "lessening the burdens of government"?

On the topic more broadly, I'm not sure that the NTIA statement created a scope limitation per se, as much as a solution limitation - the conditions that had to be met in order to be accepted inducing stable, secure and multistakeholder.  More recently the concept of pressure tested has been added as away of demonstrating some of the required attributes.

A useful concept was raised, however - cost.  Many of the services are provided at no cost to the user including the oversight and root management functions.  When evaluating other services in being as good or comparable, how do we factor cost?  Checks and balances are created by separation of duties and contractual limitations - how do the benefits of the architecture get preserved?  Are there limitations in that architecture that should be reconsidered?

While I appreciate the broadly conceptual discussions between democratic and multistakeholder and which may be the subset of the other, there are some fairly concrete issues which also need to be addressed.   There have been previous attempts in these discussions to create the list of topics, but then we get dragged back into a conceptual divide and the discussion runs out, or we jump into micro details of a specific function.  May I suggest that we have a dedicated conversation at the level of the existing architecture and the relationships or checks and balances between the functions and responsibilities of the parties?

Joe

Sent from my iPad