[discuss] [] FINAL VERSION OF THE DOCUMENT - FOR PRINTING

joseph alhadeff joseph.alhadeff at oracle.com
Sat Apr 26 21:51:31 UTC 2014

Colleagues:

Having participated in both, I would say that they accomplish different
purposes.  First I would congratulate Brazil, and especially the
organizers and EMC on a huge effort and successful meeting. I would
further agree that the stakeholders played very nicely together, for the
most part, but Net Mundial was a more directed than organic process.

There were some suggestions on how to improve the IGF.  I think we all
agree on the need to find better ways to capture the learning and
capacity building nature of IGF and its related national and regional
fora so that those lessons can be be carried back or pushed forward.  We
should also explore what role IGF can play in the emerging issues
(previously orphan issues) questions.

There is a unique benefit in not having a specific document - the free
flow of ideas with no consideration of negotiated position which is
always inherent in outcome documents and usually chills that wide open
exchange of ideas.

While the inputs to Net Mundial were free flowing, the outcome was a
negotiated process, with drafting going into the wee hours.

There are plenty of IGF improvements which we could consider to make
learning/capacity building more relevant and portable, not to mention
improvements to formats and agendas: the
effectiveness/value/relevance/inclusiveness  of topics/panels and new
opportunities for interaction which can put in place before changing the
character of the meeting.  Another improvement which IGF could attempt
would be to better integrate panel participants - not just among the
major stakeholder groups, but also between technical and policy,
developed and developing...  If one of the main benefits that IGF can
provide is helping find/uncover middle ground on contentious issues,
then we need to be speaking with each other to find that middle ground,
not just among ourselves or at each other.  That exchange of ideas could
be more wide open :-) 1net has been discussing the issues of technical
and policy competence as well as how that implicates the
non-initiate...  Maybe IGF can contribute something here as well.

Best-

Joe