[discuss] [] FINAL VERSION OF THE DOCUMENT - FOR PRINTING

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Mon Apr 28 11:16:10 UTC 2014

On Apr 27, 2014, at 4:49 PM, Jeremy Malcolm <Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au> wrote:

> First, to call "Internet principles" and "roadmap for future evolution of Internet governance" as being "two issues" seems a bit odd.  Indeed within these "two issues" it is hard to think of which of the IGF's topics weren't covered in some way at NETmundial.  Conversely, there is no reason why the IGF should not focus its topics of discussion much more narrowly, rather than trying to cover everything each year; and indeed this suggestion has been made many times.

Jeremy -

   One of the values of the current IGF format is its wide breadth and therefore
   combining of many different communities (who often find common interests
   and viewpoints with one another once together)

   Are you proposing that IGF's should move to being focused on a few topics,
   or that the present meeting format be split (some of the time on the "many
   topics/many sessions" approach and some for MS outcome document
   development), or something else?

   (I am just trying to understand what change to format you would suggest...)

Thanks!
/John

Disclaimer: My views alone.